Thanks for making it a success!
The first Oxford JS code retreat went really well in spite of a very early start. Pastries, coffee and burritos flowed, and we had some good discussions in the retrospectives and afterwards in the pub.
Here are a few links from the day:
We're really excited about the possibility for variations of the code retreat theme, in particular:
- Focus on levelling-up JS: less focus on TDD, instead constrain the approach differently for each session to use 'the best bits' of JS
- Focus on functional programming
The JS Code Retreat is a day of pair-programming around a common programming challenge. Over 5 to 6 45-minute programming sessions you’ll get to work with a variety of people and work on improving your day-to-day coding, whether it’s TDD, DRY, naming, or whatever. At the end of each session we’ll regroup and share what we’ve learned.
For a nice introduction to code retreat and why it’s a great idea, check out this video.
What do I need to bring?
Just your good self and a laptop. If you’ve got a ready-to-go environment all the better, but if not we’d recommend TDDBin.
We’ll provide drinks and lunch!
How much does it cost?
We take payment in fun, effort and brainpower. There is no entry fee, you just need to a RSVP on Lanyrd.
We’ll be meeting at White October to kick off coding at 8.30AM. Although that’s pretty early for a Saturday, we’re sychronising with groups from Cologne, Munich and Barcelona (so far). The upside is that it’s early enough for pastries!
All we ask is that if you can’t make it you update your RSVP so we can get that space to someone else.
That sounds great, how can I help?
At the moment we’d be really grateful for:
- Sponsorship! Help us provide codefuel to keep the creative juices flowing.
- Help on the day. There’s plenty of setting up and clearing down, as well as keeping the day running smoothly. Get in touch if you’re keen to help out.
- Spread the word. Most important of all, shout it from the rooftops (or just use Twitter…).
Haybrook IT Resourcing have kindly sponsored breakfast pastries and lunch. Be sure to chat to Sarah over coffee before the event and say how great the food is! We also have a JetBrains WebStorm license to give away - we’ll pick a winner from the attendees on the day.
As if that wasn’t enough, we’ve got a number of 10% discount codes for the JSDay conference in Verona.