Speaking at JSOxford
- We're not interested in product pitches. We do welcome talks about products as long as they are focused on the how rather than the what.
- If you're interested in speaking at JSOxford we encourage you to come along to an event if you're able or check out some of our previous meetups.
- Talk slots are 30-45 minutes long with 2 talks per event. We are flexible with this so please reach out to us if you feel you could do a longer (ideally interactive) talk or you have an idea for a shorter lightning style talk.
- Our meetups are currently held at The Story Museum which is very central in Oxford. It is easy to reach from the Train Station, Bus Station and there are also several paid Car Parks.
- The setup at the venue uses a projector with a screen resolution of 1920*1080 when using HDMI. If you need sound for your presentation please do let us know so we can get this set up prior. There is also internet at the venue however it is not that reliable so please do have backup plans if you're planning to do any live demos.
- We aim to film our speakers. Please let us know in advance if you are not comfortable with this for any reason and we can skip it. We record the screen output directly as it's sent to the projector as well as a camera pointed at the speaker. We use a headset microphone to record the speaker's voice. You are free to use the video on your own blog or website.
- Please remember to bring any display adapters your machine may need. Our projector uses HDMI and we have a few adapters but not for every port so it's best to be prepared.
Collection of resources
Blogs and Articles
- Improve Your Presentations In Under $50
- I can’t read your slides
- Slide Design for Developers
- You would make an awesome speaker
- Technical Speaker Starter Kit
- A Short Guide To Public Speaking (for Tech Conferences)
- Preparing a talk: Part 1, Part 2 & Part 3.
- Public Speaking for Beginners
- Put a test-card at the start of your slides
- 10 practical tips for improving your public speaking
Please get in touch with us if you have any questions. We're always happy to help.